Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Blu-ray Review: INVASION OF THE BLOOD FARMERS (1972)


https://severin-films.com/shop/iotbf-bluray/
INVASION OF THE BLOOD FARMERS
Written & Directed by Ed Adlum
Distributed by CAV Distribution / Severin Films

 Severin Films continues to impress me with the titles they have been releasing lately!   One of their latest releases is the VHS classic, INVASION OF THE BLOOD FARMERS!  I remember seeing this VHS on the shelf of my local video store back when I was a kid.   I never watched it back then for some reason, so I was thrilled to get the chance to see it now on Blu-ray!   Unfortunately, the cover art might be the best part of this film! 

 Here is some info about the film from the official press release:

  In 1972, a team of New York City exploitation outlaws that included Ed Adlum (SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED), Ed Kelleher (PRIME EVIL) and Michael & Roberta Findlay (THE TOUCH OF HER FLESH, SNUFF) – along with first-time assistant cameraman and future award-winning cinematographer Frederick Elmes (ERASERHEAD, BLUE VELVET) – descended on bucolic Westchester County with 8½ bottles of stage blood to make a movie about a Druid cult seeking to resurrect their dead queen. The budget was $24,000. The cast was paid in beer. And the result remains one of the greatest achievements in schlock/shock cinema history. Severin Films is proud to present this “accidental masterpiece” (Horror News) as you’ve never seen it before, now scanned from the original negative for the first time ever and spurting with all-new Special Features.

 I was really hoping to find a rare, awesome, grindhouse film that would immediately become a new personal favorite of mine.  Unfortunately, that is not what I found.   This movie is pretty bad to be completely honest with you.   BUT....it is so bad that it falls into the "so-bad-it's-good" column.   In fact, this would be a great movie to watch with a group of friends while drinking and laughing at the film.  I could see this as being a lot of fun to watch in a group.  Watching by myself was not as fun! 

 So, what's so bad about it you ask?  Well, the first thing I noticed was horrible editing/camera work.  A guy would be talking and then all the sudden it would jump to a close up of his face for 1 second and then back to the original camera angle.  I have no clue what that was for!  Secondly was the horrendous acting.  I guess if the cast is paid in beer, then you can't be too critical of their acting ability.   Also, the lady that played the "Dead Queen" needs to learn that dead people don't breathe!  I could not take her seriously when I could plainly see her chest moving up and down during her scenes! 

 Now, as bad as this was, it did have some scenes that were pretty good, mainly the few scenes they show when they capture people and take them to the shack to drain their blood.   These could have been extremely disturbing, was it not for the ridiculous audio dub of the people...not so much screaming, but just whooping and hollering.   That made what could have been a horrifying scene into something laughable again.  

 INVASION OF THE BLOOD FARMERS was a cool idea, and could have been a great movie if it had more of a budget and better actors.   This is one of the few times I wish someone would remake a film.  I think this film had tons of potential, it just wasn't executed well at all.

 As always, this is just one reviewers opinion.  I encourage everyone to check out the film and make their own decision of it.   Fans of low-budget schlock films might absolutely adore this one!

 INVASION OF THE BLOOD FARMERS is available now on DVD & Blu-ray and contains the following special features:

*  Audio commentary with director Ed Adlum and actress Ortrum Tippel, moderated by Kier-La Janisse, author of House of Psychotic Women
*  Nothing You’d Show Your Mom: Eddie Adlum’s journey through exploitation, coin-op & rock n’ roll 
*  Interview with actor Jack Neubeck
*  Painful Memories: An interview with cinematographer Frederick Elmes
*  Trailer
 

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray


https://severin-films.com/

https://severin-films.com/














No comments:

Post a Comment