Thursday, September 29, 2016
Blu-ray Review: TALES OF HALLOWEEN (2015)
TALES OF HALLOWEEN
Directed by Multiple Directors
Distributed by Epic Pictures
I am a huge fan of anthology movies. I think it's probably because I have a pretty short attention span, so multiple short stories is much easier for me to sit and watch than one story for 2 hours. Plus, with shorts there is not much filler, or slow times. Everything is fit into a short time frame so it's pretty much entertaining the entire running time, as long as it's a good story of course. There are quite a few horror anthologies, some much better than others. I honestly had no idea what to expect from TALES OF HALLOWEEN, but after watching it I can easily say it is among the top tier of horror anthologies. Here is the plot synopsis from the film's official website:
Named “the best horror anthology since Trick 'r Treat” by Fangoria and “among the best Halloween-themed horror movies ever made” by DailyDead, this critically acclaimed film weaves together ten chilling tales from horror's top directors. Ghosts, ghouls, monsters, and the devil delight in terrorizing unsuspecting residents of a suburban neighborhood on Halloween night. The all-star directorial lineup includes Neil Marshall (Game of Thrones, The Descent), Darren Lynn Bousman (SAW 2,3,4), Lucky McKee (The Woman, All Cheerleaders Must Die), and Mike Mendez (Gravedancers, Big Ass Spider!). Cameos by horror heavyweights such as Barry Bostwick (The Rocky Horror Picture Show), Lin Shaye (Insidious), John Savage (The Deer Hunter), Adrienne Barbeau (The Fog), John Landis (Director of Animal House), Joe Dante (Director of Gremlins), Barbara Crampton (Re-Animator, We Are Still Here), Booboo Stewart (Twilight), Keir Gilchrist (It Follows), Grace Phipps (Fright Night), Pat Healy (Cheap Thrills), Kristina Klebe (Rob Zombie's Halloween), Greg Grunberg (Heroes, Star Wars), Alex Essoe (Starry Eyes), Pollyanna McIntosh (The Woman), and more.
This movie was so much fun, and I loved each story having been done by a different director. It's a lot of fun to see all the different types of short stories and see all the different film styles. This film consists of 10 shorts, which I will list and describe each a little here for you.
1. SWEET TOOTH (Directed by Dave Parker) - The first film of the movie is a classic "urban legend" type story about a boy who's parents never let him eat his Halloween candy. The boy killed his parents, and finally was able to eat all his candy. The legend says that he still roams today, and you must leave part of your candy out for Sweet Tooth, otherwise you'll wind up dead! This was one of my favorite of the short films. It had some great gore, and what looked to be all practical effects.
2. THE NIGHT BILLY RAISED HELL (Directed by Darren Lynn Bousman) - This is a dark comedic tale about a boy who hangs out with the devil on Halloween, and is coerced into pulling off some crazy Halloween pranks, each one a little more worse than the previous.
3. TRICK (Directed by Adam Gierasch) - This was a very creepy tale about a group of kids that attack the people of a house they are trick or treating at. The man who went to the door to hand out the candy had no idea the cute little girl would end up stabbing him! Eventually other kids join in and terrorize the people of the house. Killer kids terrifies me, so this segment was very effective!
4. THE WEAK AND THE WICKED (Directed by Paul Solet) - This was actually one of my least favorite of all the stories. It centers around a group of bullies that have been terrorizing people since they were young kids. This time though, they seem to have messed with the wrong person who has someone, or something on their side.
5. GRIM GRINNING GHOST (Directed by Axelle Carolyn) - This is a fun story about a lady driving home from a party after listening to ghost stories. Her car breaks down and she has to walk home alone...or is she? This is a very simple premise, but is executed extremely well with some great, creepy imagery.
6. DING DONG (Directed by Lucky McKee) - This is an interesting tale of a husband and wife who lost their son, and is now picking out the perfect replacement from the trick or treaters that come by.
7. THIS MEANS WAR (Directed by Andrew Kasch & John Skipp) - This was one of my favorite entries, as it deals with one of my favorite parts of the Halloween season which is the Halloween decorations. This story is about new neighbors that come in and try to outdo the guy on the street that normally has the biggest and best decorations, ending up in a deadly battle!
8. FRIDAY THE 31st (Directed by Mike Mendez) - This was a weird one, but one of my favorites! It involves an awesome killer reminiscent of Jason Voorhees, but mixes in some humor and a little weird animated alien. The results are a funny, but bloody, good time!
9. THE RANSOM OF RUSTY REX (Directed by Ryan Schifrin) - This is a great kidnapping tale. The kidnappers think they are kidnapping the kid of a rich businessman, but it turns out, kidnapping this "kid" did the businessman a favor!
10. BAD SEED (Directed by Neil Marshall) - The final tale is an extremely fun tale about a demon jack-o-lantern. Man eating jack-o-lanterns running through the streets eating people is a perfect way to end this awesome anthology!
This is a must have for any horror fan in my opinion. I hope this catches on and we get a new TALES OF HALLOWEEN every year or so, using the same format of multiple short films all made by different directors. I also have to mention all the awesome cameos from some horror legends, such as: Adrienne Barbeau, Caroline Williams, Tiffany Shepis, Barbara Crampton, Mick Garris, Stuart Gordon, Felissa Rose, John Landis, Kristina Klebe, Adam Green, and Joe Dante!
TALES is available now on an awesome Blu-ray/DVD/CD combo pack and contains the following special features:
* 7 Bonus Short Films
* Feature Commentary
* Bonus Commentary Tracks on Certain Shorts
* Deleted Scene (Grim Grinning Ghost)
* Anatomy of a Scene (Friday the 31st)
* Fun Facts (Pop-On Video Commentary for Selected Segments)
* Photo Gallery (Bad Seed)
* Storyboards (Ding Dong)
* Diaries (23 Videos of Behind-the-Scenes & Interviews)
* Collectible Trading Cards
* CD Soundtrack
CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD/BD/CD combo pack