Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

DVD Review: COLLAR (2014)


http://mvdb2b.com/s/Collar/UN-1061COLLAR
Written & Directed by 
Distributed by MVD Visual & Unearthed Films

  I have been a big fan of director Ryan Nicholson ever since 2006's LIVE FEED.  After that came the wonderful GUTTERBALLS, and then other great films.  I was super excited to get the chance to review Nicholson's latest feature, COLLAR.  Here is the basic plot from the MVD website:

A rookie cop starts her shift like any other but soon it will all change for the worse. A derelict with a reputation of satanic violence, attacks the officer and collars her with a dog leash which is just the start of his abusive ritual.

  I was super excited going into this film, I was expecting another instant classic like the last few films from this director.  Unfortunately, I viewed what is in my opinion his worst film to date.  If you were to look at all his films and compare, I would have said that COLLAR was one of his earliest films, if not his very first one.  The production quality was horrible, making the film look very cheaply made.  The acting was pretty bad overall, especially from the one of the characters that film the "Bumfight" type videos.  The only really good acting was from star Nick Principe  who played the main character named "Massive".  Nick did a great job as always and gave the film some credibility in the acting category.

 The only real saving grace for me for this film was the gore.  As you would expect from a Ryan Nicholson film, COLLAR has some great gore, but even that is not enough to save the film overall.  I am hoping for better things to come from Mr. Nicholson in the future.  Every film can't be a "home run".  Every director is entitled to a few misses.  Nicholson's next film is the sequel to GUTTERBALLS which I expect to be back on par with his other films. 

  If you have seen COLLAR, let me know what you thought of this film.  I have seen plenty of good reviews for it, so maybe I just missed something with this one.  As with any film review I do, I suggest you take my opinion for what it's worth, and watch the film and see what you think of it.

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD

http://mvdb2b.com/
http://www.unearthedfilms.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment