Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Friday, February 20, 2015

DVD Review: HOUSE OF FLESH MANNEQUINS (2009)


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1266073/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1HOUSE OF FLESH MANNEQUINS
Written & Directed by
Distributed by MVD Visual

  So this might be the hardest review I have ever written. Not only because I really don't know if I liked this movie or not, but because I'm not even sure I know what I just watched!  Here is the plot from the MVD website:

"House of Flesh Mannequins" is a nostalgic homage to the classic "fantastic" films of the 70's with movie sets that resemble live stages. The film itself is divided in 3 acts, and boasts authentic period costumes and hair. The cinematography of Mirco Sgarzi successfully recreates the "personality" and atmosphere of some of Fulci and Argento's best work. This is film made by those who love the cinema. A movie rich with winks and clever nods that the most die hard Euro-Horror film fans will enjoy: from David Lynch to the surrealism of films from the 30's. The film also features international adult film stars and "regular" actors sharing the screen for the very first time. Extreme body art performers were used in the film's torture sequences,ensuring that everything you see is 100% real. Quite disturbing but yet compelling. HOUSE OF FLESH MANNEQUINS presents a compelling case against the use of gratuitous violence on TV as well as the self-righteous, sanctimonious ways that society chooses to confront children's issues.

  I don't think I have ever come across a film that is both utterly repulsive yet brilliant at the same time. This could be that movie.  I definitely saw spots of true art on film, while other spots were just plain nonsense.  The description above mentions similarities to Fulci and Argento.  I did not see this at all.  If I had to compare this film to another film maker it would be Tinto Brass.  In fact, one scene in particular seemed to be directly influenced by a similar scene in Brass' SALON KITTY.

  One interesting thing about his film is that most everything you see in terms of the torture scenes were 100% real using actual Extreme Body Art performers.  That was definitely a plus and gave the movie it's realism.

  Well, I'm not sure I could recommend this to most fans of mainstream horror.  If you are into graphic, extreme horror or film in general, then you will most definitely want to check this one out.
The DVD is available now from MVD and contains the following special features:

*  5 Snuff Films featured in the movie
*  Special Make up Effects Featurette
*  Interviews with Cast & Crew
*  Italian Subtitles

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD


http://mvdb2b.com/





1 comment:

  1. Never heard of this one but that's a Hell of a title!

    - Tom
    https://www.facebook.com/ShitMovieFest

    ReplyDelete