Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Blu-ray Review: A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN (1971)


http://www.cavd.com/product.php?productid=2632A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN
Directe by: 
Distributed by Mondo Macabro / CAV Distributing

  Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of Luico Fulci.  I have loved every single film I have seen of his, from his classic zombie epics to his early giallo films.  While I have seen most of Fulci's popular films, A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN somehow never crossed my path.  I was super excited going into a Fulci film that I had never seen before.  I built this film up in my head and really hoped I was not setting myself up for a let-down.  Luckily, not only was I not let down, I was blown away by how good of a film this is.   Needless to say I was not disappointed.  

  Here is the basic plot synopsis from the official press release:

  Mondo Macabro is very proud to present A Lizard In A Women's Skin, released in HD on Blu-ray for the very first time in North America. Carol Hammond, the frustrated wife of a successful London lawyer, is having bizarre, erotic dreams about her uninhibited neighbor, Julia Durer, who presides over noisy, sex and drug filled parties in the house next door. One night, Carol's dreams culminate in violent death and she wakes to find her nightmares have become reality - Julia has been murdered and Carol is the main suspect. This frightening discovery is just the beginning of a labyrinthine psycho sexual shocker which takes the viewer on a wild ride through a series of frequently breathtaking set pieces that set new standards for the Italian thriller.
  This first US Blu-ray release of the film, taken from the original negative, is the longest, uncut version currently available and comes with a host of exclusive extras. Directed by controversial film maker Lucio Fulci (The New York Ripper, House by the Cemetery, Zombie), Lizard in a Woman's Skin is considered by many critics to be his finest achievement.

  While I would probably say that THE BEYOND is my favorite Fulci film, LIZARD ranks right up there near the top for sure.   This film is quite a bit different from Fulci's other films that focus on more gore and shock.   This one really doesn't have that much gore to speak of, but don't let that turn you off of this film.   While the film doesn't focus on the gore, there are still a few great scenes including one with some dissected dogs that was almost too disgusting to stomach!

  The film has some amazing imagery and some fantastic dream sequences.  While I won't pretend I understood everything that was happening at all times, I enjoyed seeing it happen non the less.   The dream sequences were very moody and atmospheric and felt like an arthouse style of film at some points.  

  This one was a lot different that a lot of his films, but I can't stress enough how much I enjoyed it.  This is a must see for any Fulci fans out there!

  A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN is available now from Mondo Macabro and CAV Distributing and contains the following special features:

*  Brand new HD transfer from film negative
*  Shedding the Skin - documentary
*  Dr Lucio Fulci's Day for Night - directed by Antonietta De Lillo - interview with Lucio Fulci
*  Interview with writer Stephen Thrower
*  Interview with actor Tony Adams
*  Audio commentary with Kris Gavin
*  Two original trailers
*  Radio spots
*  Italian/English Language/subtitle choices

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray


http://mondomacabrodvd.com/

http://www.cavd.com/
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment