Tuesday, November 22, 2016
Blu-ray Review: TENEBRAE (1982)
Written & Directed by Dario Argento
Distributed by Synapse Films / CAV Distributing
Dario Argento has always been one of my favorite horror directors. I have yet to see an Argento film I haven't liked. I haven't seen all his films by any means, and TENEBRAE is one I had never seen before now. I am glad to say my streak of never seeing an Argento film I didn't like it still in tact, as TENEBRAE is a great addition to the Argento library. Here is the basic plot of the film from the Synapse Film's website:
American mystery author Peter Neal (Anthony Franciosa) comes to Italy to promote his newest novel, TENEBRAE. Unfortunately, a razor-wielding serial killer is on the loose, taunting Neal and murdering those around him in gruesome fashion just like the character in his novel. As the mystery surrounding the killings spirals out of control, Neal investigates the crimes on his own, leading to a mind-bending, genre-twisting conclusion that will leave you breathless! Featuring an amazing synth-music score from Claudio Simonetti, Fabio Pignatelli and Massimo Morante (formerly of Italian progressive-rock band, Goblin), this all-new 1080p high-definition TENEBRAE release was created from the original uncut camera negative. Also stars John Saxon (A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET), Daria Nicolodi (Dario Argento’s PHENOMENA) and John Steiner (CALIGULA).
Even though this film came out after SUSPIRIA and INFERNO, it actually feels more like one of his earlier films like CAT O NINE TALES or THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE. This movie goes back to Argento's Giallo roots, but this time with more blood and gore than most Giallo films provide. Because of this, you get the best of both worlds in my opinion.....you get the whodunit mystery of a Giallo, but the blood and gore of an 80's slasher film. As with most all Argento movies, you will find some very impressive camera work on display here. I also noticed the music of this film which I honestly don't pay much attention to in most movies. The soundtrack for this film goes along with the film perfectly.
Synapse has done an amazing job with this release, and the new transfer looks amazingly clear. You can buy the film on Blu-ray, DVD, or a special edition Blu-ray/DVD/CD Steelbook while supplies last.
TENEBRAE is available now from Synapse Films and contains the following special features:
* All-new Synapse Films supervised color correction and restoration of a 1080p scan from the original camera negative, presented in the original aspect ratio of 1.85:1
* Dual English and Italian language options with newly-translated English subtitle tracks for both
* Audio commentary track featuring film critic and Argento scholar, Maitland McDonagh
* Rare high-definition 1080p English sequence insert shots, playable within the film via Seamless Branching
* Feature-length documentary, YELLOW FEVER: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE GIALLO by Rising Productions, chronicling the Giallo film genre from its beginnings as early 20th century crime fiction, to its later influences on the modern slasher film genre
* Original UNSANE (U.S. version of TENEBRAE) end credits sequence
* Alternate opening credits sequence
* Theatrical trailers
CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray, or call 734-494-3502 to order the limited edition TENEBRAE Steelbook directly from Synapse.