Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Blu-ray Review: THE BOY (2016)


https://www.uphe.com/movies/the-boy-2016THE BOY
Directed by 
Distributed by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

  This is a film I remember really wanting to see in the theaters, but never got a chance to.  The previews looked so creepy, I just had to see it.  Finally I got the chance now that THE BOY has been released to home video.  I am happy to report that the film lived up to the creepiness of it's trailer!  For those unfamiliar with the film, here is the plot synopsis courtesy of the Universal Pictures Home Entertainment website:

  The Boy is a frightening thrill ride directed by William Brent Bell (The Devil Inside) and starring Lauren Cohan (The Walking Dead). Greta (Cohan) is a young American woman who takes a job as a nanny in a remote English village. She soon discovers that the family’s 8-year-old is a life-sized doll that they care for just like a real boy, as a way to cope with the death of their son 20 years prior. After violating a list of strict rules, a series of disturbing and inexplicable events bring Greta’s worst nightmare to life, leading her to believe that the doll is actually alive.

 Dolls in horror movies have always creeped me out.  Just when you think they can't get any worse comes THE BOY!  This is honestly one of the creepiest dolls I have ever seen in a horror film. 

  The film looks amazing, taking place in a beautiful English countryside.  The shots and cinematography are top notch.   The acting is very good as well, especially from Lauren Cohan, who plays Greta in the film.  Most all horror fans will recognize Lauren as Maggie from THE WALKING DEAD.  It was nice seeing her in something other than TWD, and she did an amazing job here.

  This is not a gory, over the top horror film at all.  Instead, it is a very atmospheric, low key film that exudes a creepy, disturbing vibe throughout the film.  Well, that is until the last 20-30 minutes of the film, all that goes out the window and it is an action packed free for all!  I won't tell you anything more about that, so as to not spoil anything for you.  You'll just have to check that out for yourself!

  I know a lot of horror fans shun PG-13 rated horror films, often saying that a "real" horror film has to be rated 'R'.  This is a film that will probably change the mind of a lot of those type of people.  PG-13 films can be scary, and THE BOY is proof of that for sure!    I highly recommend this one and urge you to check it out as soon as you can!

  THE BOY was just released to DVD and Blu-ray this week from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.   You can find it at all major retailers or click below to purchase from Amazon.


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD or Blu-ray


https://www.uphe.com/
 

1 comment:

  1. I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. Your site is good, it was very informatiive :)
    gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete