Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Blu Ray Review: THE CITY OF THE DEAD (1960)


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053719/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1THE CITY OF THE DEAD
Directed by: 
Distributed by VCI Entertainment

  I always love when I come across a movie for review that I know nothing about.    I pride myself on being very knowledgeable about most horror films, but there are always a few that have flown under my radar and I have just not had the chance to see or even know about.   Such is the case with tonight's review,  THE CITY OF THE DEAD, also known as HORROR HOTEL.    Here is the basic plot of the film from the VCI website:

  A college student, Nan Barlow is researching the history of witchcraft. Taunted by her brother and fiancé, who have voiced their concern over her silly notions, Nan arms herself with resolve and drives into the small New England village of Whitewood. She is glad that at least she was able to count on the support of her professor. A bit anxious but consumed with curiosity, she will soon embark herself on the journey of her life!

  First off, I have to mention the title of this film threw me off a little.  I knew nothing about the film, so going by the title I thought I was getting into an old zombie film.   Instead, I was treated with a very interesting and eerie film about witchcraft in the same vein as a film like MARK OF THE DEVIL.   The main thing that I really noticed and enjoyed about this film was the very creepy imagery and scenery.  The filmmakers used tons of fog in the filming of this picture, and it is amazing how a little fog will make a scene look so spooky!   This film was shot very well with some great cinematography.   

  I will admit that the film is a little slow moving at some points, but I find that with a lot of the old black and white horror films from the 1960's.  Regardless, that did not keep me from enjoying the film overall by any means.   This is an intriguing story full of mystery and suspense!

  VCI has done a remarkable job with the transfer on this Blu-ray.  The picture quality is superb and is crystal clear.  

  THE CITY OF THE DEAD is now available on Blu-ray from VCI Entertainment and contains the following special features:

*  Horror Hotel, the American Version of City of the Dead
*  Feature length Commentary by Bruce Hallenbeck
*  2nd Feature length Commentary with actor Christopher Lee
*  3rd Commentary by Director John Moxey
*  Interview with Christopher Lee
*  Interview with Venetia Stevenson
*  Interview with Director John Moxey
*  Theatrical Trailer
*  Photo Gallery
*  Liner Notes by Mike Kenny, Film Reviewer
*  English Subtitles


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray


https://www.vcientertainment.com/













No comments:

Post a Comment