THE HILLS HAVE EYES
Written & Directed by Wes Craven
Distributed by Arrow Films / MVD Entertainment Group
I have seen this film before, but it has been years! I really didn't remember much about it, so I was excited to see that Arrow Video and MVD were releasing this one to Blu-ray.
It was a nice chance to check the film out again since it had been so long. Here is the basic plot from the MVD website:
THE LUCKY ONES DIED FIRST... Horror master Wes Craven achieved critical and commercial success with the likes of Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street - but for many genre fans, the director's seminal 1977 effort The Hills Have Eyes remains his masterpiece. Taking a detour whilst on route to Los Angeles, the Carter family run into trouble when their campervan breaks down in the middle of the desert. Stranded, the family find themselves at the mercy of a group of monstrous cannibals lurking in the surrounding hills. With their lives under threat, the Carters are forced to fight back by any means necessary. As grueling a viewing experience today as it was upon initial release, The Hills Have Eyes stands alongside the likes of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Night of the Living Dead as one of the defining moments in American horror cinema.
Putting a film into the same ranks as THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is pretty bold, but I can honestly say that this film definitely deserves a spot right along side those films. It is a true classic of horror cinema. I'm sure most horror fans have seen this one, so I won't go into the film too much, but I have to brag on Arrow's release of this film.
The Blu-ray transfer is amazing on this new release. The picture is extremely crisp/clear. The addition of the alternate ending was a nice touch as well. I forgot how intense this film is. It is very brutal and has moments that are very shocking and suspenseful, especially when the group of cannibals steals the family's baby. Michael Berryman plays one of the cannibals and was a perfect fit for this role. This is one of Wes Craven's finest films for sure. Definitely in my top 5 of his films.
Most all of Arrow's blu's have great packaging, but THE HILLS HAS EYES gets the Deluxe box treatment complete with a 40 page book and foldout poster! It is a beautiful set that is very deserving of a place in your collection. This one is well worth the upgrade to Blu-ray if you have the original DVD.
THE HILLS HAVE EYES is available now from Arrow Video and MVD and is packed with tons of special features including the following:
* Brand new 4K restoration from original film elements, supervised by producer Peter Locke
* High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
* Original mono audio
* Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
* 6 Postcards
* Reversible fold-out poster featuring new and original artwork
* Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Brad Stevens and a consideration of the Hills franchise by Ewan Cant, illustrated with original archive stills
* Audio commentary with Wes Craven and Peter Locke
* Looking Back on The Hills Have Eyes - making-of documentary featuring interviews with Craven, Locke, actors Michael Berryman, Dee Wallace, Janus Blythe, Robert Houston, Susan Lanier and director of photography Eric Saarinen
* The Desert Sessions - brand new interview with composer Don Peake
* Alternate ending, in HD for the first time
* Trailers and TV Spots
* Image Gallery
* Original Screenplay (BD/DVD-ROM Content)
* Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
* Limited to 10,000 units for the USA
CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray