Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Blu-ray Review: MARVELOUS MANDY (2016)


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5323092/?ref_=nv_sr_2MARVELOUS MANDY
Dirtected by:              
Produced/Distributed by:  A Cut 2 The Chase Productions

  I always like checking out new independent horror films.  A lot of them can be somewhat of a letdown, but every now and then you can happen across one that is a true gem!  Such is the case with Director Chase Dudley's latest film, MARVELOUS MANDY!  Here is the basic plot from the film's imdb.com website:

  Down-on-his-luck single dad Harvey Fowler gets a much needed boost when he meets children's author Mandy Simpkins, author of the Marvelous Mandy storybooks that his daughter loves. Their beautifully vivacious relationship seems like it couldn't get any more perfect, until Harvey gains some disturbing insights into her fractured mental state. When cracks start to show through her dreamlike personality, Harvey learns who she really is- and just how vicious she'll become to maintain the illusion of her perfect life.

  So I need to start out by saying this isn't a true horror film, but more of a suspense/thriller.  Although there are a few bloody/gory scenes that rival anything you've seen in a horror film lately!
The movie is more of a dark "Fatal Attraction" type film, with the character of Harvey falling for what he thinks is an amazing woman, only to find out she is not the woman of his dreams as he first thought, but more like the woman of this nightmares!

  I have to admit, when I started the film and saw the running time of 145 minutes, I told myself one thing I will have to write in my review is how long it was and that it should have been edited down a bit and made a more typical 90 -100 minute film.  After watching the film in it's entirety,  I have to admit I was wrong.  The film did not seem that long at all to me while watching it, and it kept me thoroughly entertained the entire running time.   Now there were some slower parts, but they were important to building the character of Mandy so you really get to know who she is...or isn't.

  I mentioned the blood/gore above, so I know you horror fans are wondering about that, I don't want to give too much away, but there were a couple of scenes were the blood really flowed and looked extremely realistic.  

  MARVELOUS MANDY is a very smart, well-made thriller that I highly recommend.  It is low budget, so keep that in mind when watching.   My only complaint was the video quality of the film, as a better camera would have made for a crisper screen image, but the movie itself is very well done with a great story, great characters, and a great plot twist.   The acting overall is very good, but the character of Mandy (played by Paula Marcenaro Solinger) was especially well done I thought.  She could go from a fun, sweet, charming woman to a complete psychopath in a matter of minutes.  She showed quite the acting range in this film.  

  MARVELOUS MANDY is available now on Blu-ray.   I highly recommend this one!


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray from the film's website
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray from Amazon.com


http://www.acut2thechase.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment