Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

DVD Review: HANGER (2009)


I just finished watching this movie called HANGER. It is sick, gross, disgusting, vile, and just plain disturbing.....therefore, I loved it! The movie is directed by Ryan Nicholson who previously directed LIVE FEED and GUTTERBALLS. Here is the plot from the Breaking Glass Pictures website:

From Ryan Nicholson, the acclaimed writer-director of the cult hit Gutterballs, comes this gruesome horror tale in which revenge is sweet and sick and twisted and definitely served cold--a balls-to-the-wall story of vengeance and murder that rises to new heights of perverse action and macabre behavior. Eighteen years ago, nine-months-pregnant Rose (B-Movie Hall of Fame acting legend Debbie Rochon), a wrong-side-of-the-tracks prostitute, was killed when her pimp gave her an abortion with a hanger. Now, the deformed, surviving child (Nathan Dashwood, TV’s “Smallville”), who was thrown in the dumpster, left for dead and mockingly called Hanger, is about to settle the score – and any street trash, sex degenerate or murderous pimp better beware. Reminiscent of low-budget classics from the like of directors Lloyd Kaufman (who appears here as Melvina the Tranny) and Herschell Gordon Lewis, Hanger carves a brutal and tasty slice of blood and guts in which no one is safe, no matter how fast they can run or how loud they can scream.

Wow...what can I really say after all that! If you are not totally disgusted just from the plot synopsis, then wait until you see the movie! Ok, earlier I said I loved it...well, let me re-phrase that. I liked it. It is hard to love a movie that is this disgusting and offensive. But, that is one of the reasons I liked it so much. Ryan Nicholson never holds back in his films, and for that, I respect him as a Horror director. A lot of directors are afraid to show the really nasty things, those are usually left off camera. But not Mr. Nicholson....not only does he show you everything, he gives you close ups on the truly disturbing scenes just to make sure you get a good look! To offset all the violence and general disgust in the film, there is some humor throughout, albeit sick humor, mainly from Hanger's roommate Russell. He is a Chinese guy with penchant for brewing his own tea out of...well....I can't even say it due to how gross it is. You will just have to find that out on your own when you watch this film.
Be warned, this is not for people with weak stomachs. If you are a fan of the films of John Waters and the sickest of the Troma films, you will definitely like HANGER. You can say a lot of things about Mr. Nicholson and his films, but whether you like them or not, you have to admit he has some original ideas and shows you some stuff you have never seen in a Horror movie before, and hopefully never will again!!

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer for HANGER (WARNING: Trailer Contains Nudity and Language)
CLICK HERE to purchase the film from Plotdigger Films
CLICK HERE to visit the official website for Breaking Glass Pictures

4 comments:

  1. I loved Gutterballs but kinda felt this was boring. Though the walking stereotype horndog Russell was hilarious.

    I wrote up a review as well.

    http://jadedviewer.com/2009/11/hanger-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your review I'm going to see if I can handle watching this film. When I saw the title Hanger My first thought was it took place in some airplane Hanger OMG does this movie look messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds promising. Thanks for pointing it out, I had never even heard about it, or seen the other movies this director has made. Ill be checking it out along with the rest of the films he has made, soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check it out, but be warned! It is very gross and offensive! If you are ok with that, then you should enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete