Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Blu-ray Review: GROWTH (2010)

   
GROWTH
Written and Directed by:  Gabriel Cowan
Distributed by:  Anchor Bay Entertainment


For those that didn't catch GROWTH when it was released to DVD earlier this year, now you can take advantage of seeing it on the Blu-ray edition that was just released June 21st.  Here is the basic plot of the film from the Anchor Bay Entertainment website

In 1989, a breakthrough in Advanced Parasitic Development at the Cuttyhunk Island Research Facility led to a mysterious outbreak that killed most of the center’s staff and the island’s residents. Twenty years later, a young woman who fled the original epidemic has returned with a group of friends to sell her family’s property. But a new breed of parasite may have evolved and survived. They are fast moving. They can slither into – or out of – any orifice in the human body.

I love movies with crawly slug things.  I'm not sure what it is about it I like....I guess I just think they are cool.   Maybe it goes back to seeing one of my favorite horror films of all time,  NIGHT OF THE CREEPS, as a child.  I also enjoyed the sluggy goodness of 2006's SLITHER.  Well, now I can add GROWTH to my list of cool "slug" movies.  These aren't really slugs, but I don't know what else to call them, so I will call them that for the purpose of this review.  

First off, if you haven't seen the trailer for this, go watch it right now.  It is a great trailer that packs a lot of footage into it.   You will see the caliber of film this is.   The film is shot very well with great cinematography and some great set pieces.   The acting in this film is very good as well. All the characters play their part well and do a good job displaying a range of emotions. 

Another great thing about this film are the effects.  The slugs are all CG, but they are done really well.  Even though I could tell they were all CG  (especially when they showed them crawling under people's skin), they still looked good and I enjoyed the effect.  There was quite a bit of gore in this film as well...more than I expected for this type of film, so that is always a plus.  And what other film can you see a guy rip some one's arm of and them beat him with it.   If that happens in another movie, I wanna see it!

This is a great film and one I will definitely be re-watching...from the great opening sequence to the very end, this film was fun and kept me entertained the entire time.  Check this one out for sure!

 
CLICK HERE to visit the film's official website and view the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD or Blu-ray

No comments:

Post a Comment