Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

DVD Review: EYES OF THE CHAMELEON (2005)

EYES OF THE CHAMELEON
Directed by:  Ron Atkins
Distributed by: CAV Distribution and Troma Entertainment
 

Take a look at that cover.....this is one of my favorite DVD covers I have seen in a long time.  I thought this was an old film that Troma picked up based on the cover....it had a 70's or early 80's look to it.  Everything about the cover is perfect, from the gory picture to the retro looking font.  I was surprised when I saw that this is actually a fairly new film.  It is actually from 2005 and unfortunately, the DVD cover was my favorite part of this film.
Here is the basic plot synopsis from the Troma website:

Sara is stuck in Las Vegas working a dead end bartending job. A chance meeting with a member of the occult triggers a psychotic break and she descends into a world of group sex, unrepentant drug use and rampant violence. As she spins faster and faster out of control, her friends are slowly killed off in mysterious and brutal ways. Is Sara being stalked by an unnamed killer or is she the one guilty of the murders?

This film starts off good, and I thought it was going to be somewhat of a tribute of the old Italian gaillo films, but it quickly sank into your typical, low-budget, slasher flick.    I wanted to like this movie, I really did.  Again, check out that cover!  Bravo to whoever designed that cover.  It would definitely catch your eye if you saw it on the shelf of your local video store.  

The acting overall is just so-so, and there really isn't much blood for a slasher film, especially since that cover displays such a gruesome scene..I expected the film to be filled with scenes like this.  I will say that the scene in the film where they got the cover pic is very well done.  The makeup effect artist did a tremendous job with the the machete to the throat effect.  Too bad there were not more scenes like this one in this film.  The film was very slow at times and led up to what was a very anti-climatic ending in my opinion.

From a technical aspect, the film has spots that are very blurry...almost pixelated at times.  The editing was also another issue I really noticed.  Normally you don't even think about the editing...normally the movie flows along and transitions from scene to scene seamlessly.  Not noticing the editing is a sign of good editing.  Unfortunately, I noticed the editing many times in this film.  It was very choppy at times and there were some very noticeable abrupt cuts between scenes. 

I am normally a fan of Troma's films....you usually know what you are getting yourself into.  You know they are going to be low budget and probably a little cheesy, but I usually like that.  This one
just didn't do anything for me.   

Chameleons are known for changing their outer skin to look like something else....EYES OF THE CHAMELEON did exactly that with its wonderful DVD cover, disguising itself  from what it really is.  This is a classic case of the old phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover".  The same applies to DVD's as well.

Now, keep in mind, this is one reviewers opinion.  I encourage you to still watch the film.  I always say everyone should give all films a chance, and some people might really dig this film, I just wasn't one of those people. 


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD



1 comment:

  1. Hayes, I watched this a few weeks back as well and I agree with you on all points. The cover definitely made me want to watch this and I was quite disappointed as well. Blood Oath, although flawed, is a much better recent Troma flick.

    ReplyDelete