Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

DVD Review: ZOMBIE UNDEAD (2010)

   
-------------Review by contributing writer Scott Baker------------------
 
 
ZOMBIE UNDEAD
Directed by Rhys Davies
Distributed by MVD Visual

One of the coolest aspects of doing reviews for Hayes is that I get to see some films that I probably would never watch otherwise. I suppose I should preface that by stating this aspect is both a good thing AND a bad thing because there are just some films that are better left unwatched. But the good has definitely outweighed the bad in this regard and I’m glad I can offer my reviews to his blog.

This week’s selection is ZOMBIE UNDEAD, a British film that tries to capture some of Danny Boyle’s living dead magic. Unfortunately, where Boyle succeeded, director Rhys Davies did not and the result is a lackluster zombie flick that left me wanting a whole lot more.

If you are unfamiliar with ZOMBIE UNDEAD, here is the plot synopsis courtesy of the DVD cover:

A terrorist detonates a dirty bomb in the heart of a densely-populated city, unleashing a gruesome zombie plague that spreads like wildfire. Sarah’s father was bleeding out, and she knew he would die if she didn’t get him to a hospital fast. The scene that greets them on arrival is one of chaos. The floor, awash with blood, is covered with the bodies of the dying and injured, doctors dart back and forth, clearly overwhelmed. Sarah stumbles back and her world fades to black. Upon regaining consciousness, she is greeted by the uneasy silence of a seemingly deserted building...
 
I have to credit Rhys Davies, however...his heart was definitely in the right place with this one. I see where he was trying to go with ZOMBIE UNDEAD, but he just doesn’t quite get there. The setup in the darkened hospital was a good idea, especially given the number of zombies that a survivor could potentially run across. But for me, the look and feel was way too much like the pilot episode of THE WALKING DEAD. I think this was the major turning away point for me.

The acting is not bad, although some of the British accents are so thick that it’s hard to understand what is being said. The special effects are mediocre, with some of the zombies looking like Halloween costumes, but I suppose that is forgivable considering the budget. And overall, the film is shot pretty well.

But the main negative for ZOMBIE UNDEAD is that it is simply not interesting. I literally found myself bored about 30 minutes in. The characters are two-dimensional for the most part and gave me no reason to be vested in them; the film lacks intensity; and the scares that are supposed to be there are simply not.

As I regularly do after I write a review, I ventured out to IMDB.com to see what other viewers thought of this one as well. Interestingly, this film only garnered 2 stars out of 10 from the 262 people that reviewed it. I would have to agree with that assessment. ZOMBIE UNDEAD is not a bad film overall...it just doesn’t have anything going for it. I would give this one a pass.


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment