Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Blu-ray Review: LIPS OF BLOOD (1975)

     
LIPS OF BLOOD
Directed by:  Jean Rollin
Distributed by:  Kino Lorber/Redemption Films

This week, Redemption Films and Kino Lorber Inc have released a collection of films called, The Cinema Of Jean Rollin.  Most of the films have been on DVD before, but I believe this is their first release on the Blu-ray format.  There are 5 films in this collection, and I will be reviewing them all, but up first is the 1975 film, LIPS OF BLOOD.   For those unfamiliar with this film, here is the basic plot of the film from imbd.com:

This erotic vampire film features a young man on a strange quest after recognizing a castle on a poster. He seems to remember the castle from his childhood and eventually finds it with the aid of a strange woman dressed in white. It turns out that his family has been keeping the secret of vampirism from him.

 For those unfamiliar with Jean Rollin, he is a French director that is most known for his female vampire flicks.  His films are the epitome of classic, Euro-horror sexploitation.  While tamer in that realm than some of his other films, he still does not disappoint with LIPS OF BLOOD. 

 I thoroughly enjoyed LIPS OF BLOOD, but I do have to admit that it can be slow in a few parts.  The film clocks in at 87 minutes, but it actually felt much longer to me.   Don't think that means I didn't like the film, that is just a warning to those expecting non-stop vampire action. Rollin's films are very artistic and visual.   The dialog is not the strong part of the film here, Rollins focuses on his visual style.  The film is shot beautifully with wonderful cinematography and some very moody images.   There are some great camera shots and angles which are very aesthetically pleasing. The acting is good overall, although made in 1975, expect some very outdated hairdos and clothing.  

 I have not seen many of Rollin's films, but will be watching all 5 films of the "Cinema of Jean Rollin" collection.  I look forward to seeing his other films, and will be reviewing them all here, so stay tuned!
Until then, check out LIPS OF BLOOD for yourself, available now on DVD and Blu-ray.   Blu-ray features include:

*  Mastered in HD from the 35mm negative
*  French with English Subtitles
*  Introduction by Jean Rollin
*  Interview with star Natalie Perry
*  20 page booklet with an essay by Tim Lucas, editor of Video    Watchdog
*  Original theatrical trailer
*  Original trailers of four other Rollin  films


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer (**WARNING** trailer contains nudity)
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment