Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Check out the awesome comic book company, VIRUS COMIX!!

I have been a fan of Horror comics for years, and while there are some great Horror titles out there, it seems there are more bad ones than good. This is why I am so excited to have run across a company called VIRUS COMIX. This small, 2 man company is run by Ju Gomez and Jason Crawley, although they do use outside talent for some of their comics. These comics are what most Horror fans are looking for in their Horror comics. The art is superb and the stories are nothing but fun and entertaining. Here are the titles I was able to get my hands on, with a brief synopsis of each title and then my thoughts on each:

SON OF 6 - This is a crossover that won't disappoint, with a surprise ending. Calavera and sonof6 must work together to destroy Megs' evil before it's too late! Calavera joins the hunt from Enrico Teodorani, famed Italian creator and us at Virus Comix! A tale before the mask, a new killer is in THE WARD...her name is CALAVERA and she is hunting the 2000 year old demon called Meg Deviantuan.

I started with this one because honestly, it was my least favorite title of the 3 I read. That is not to say I didn't enjoy it, but the story was a little confusing at times. Other than that it was a good read and I absolutely love the artwork. Simple, yet effective in a stark black and white format.


PSYCHO HUNTER VS. ZOMBIE COMMANDOS FROM HELL - The Blood Queen wishes rest for her and her chosen ones in The Ward following the Zombie War. Morgonna has her own plans! The Chosen Ones must destroy her devil - the killer demon known as Psycho Hunter. If they can do what no other creature has done before,they may stay. If not, hell has more to burn! The fight of the century is here! 10 years in the making! Ju Gomez's Psycho Hunter goes up against Steph Dumais's Zombie Commandos From Hell in this crossover from Virus Comix.

I loved this comic as soon as I read the title. And unlike some comics, the title lived up to its name, as the story shows you a non stop battle between a horde of zombies and a hellish demon. This is one-shot, which is perfect for those comic fans like me with a short attention span. The art from outside artist Steph Dumais is great, and while it is a little "cartoonish" for something as "serious" as a demon fighting Zombies, it seems to just add the fun of the book overall.

BLOKE'S TOMB OF HORROR -- Each book in this series is an anthology of short Horror stories. The short stories all showcase a variety of different
artist and writers.

This was by far my favorite books by Virus Comix. I got issue #1 and #2, and these comics were by far some of the best Horror comics that I have ever read! As stated above, I have a rather short attention span, so I love anthology books such as these. Issue 1 contains 4 stories, including stories about Vampires, Werewolves, and Demons. Each story was done by a different artist and it is very cool to see the different styles all together in one book. The story titled, Johnny Demonic: Curse of the Black Widow was drawn by Anthony Ruggiero, and contains some of the most impressive artwork I have seen in a comic. The detail in his drawings is amazing and worthy of a purchase of this title alone. Also equally impressive is the story DJustine: The Valley of Lost Time. The artist for this story goes by Manolo, and his drawings look more like paintings and even photographs in some scenes. Very impressive stuff!
Issue 2 is even bigger, containing 7 different short stories. A couple of highlight from this book include The Art of Dying, the story of a man who finds he has to power to kill people, simply by drawing how he wants them to die. Needless to say, his power overwhelms him and his last drawing ends up as a disaster for our powerful artist. The other highlight for me in this book, is a second DJustine story called DJustine Vs. Cemetery Jane. While the story is extremely short (only 2 pages), the artwork again steals the show, with some of the most beautiful images ever put on the pages of a comic book.

If you are a comic fan, I urge you to check out all the titles from Virus Comix. These are some of my favorite Horror comics to date, and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

Here is a full list of Virus Comix's titles that are available for purchase at IndyPlanet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment