Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

DVD Review: TRUE NATURE (2010)

Written and Directed by:  Patrick Steele

I don't recall how I found out about this film, but somewhere I heard about an independent film called TRUE NATURE.  I was able to finally see this film and I am so glad I found out about it.  Lets face it, a lot of independent films are not that good.  TRUE NATURE, on the other hand, is one of those rare gems that you find from time to time in the independent movie world.  Before I go any further, here is the synopsis of the film from the film's official website:

The Pascal family has it all - wealth, power, privilege - but their picture perfect lives change forever when their college-athlete daughter Marianne disappears one night while running. She mysteriously returns a year later with no recollection of where she's been. Haunted by violent visions, she begins to suspect that her family is hiding dark secrets and that the key to her disappearance may be linked to them. As the fragile web of lies unravels, she fears that her own life and sanity may be the price for discovering the truth.

I have to admit that the movie starts off kinda slowly, but then once it gets going, it grabs you by the throat and never lets go!  While this is not a true Horror film, it is scary in a very psychological way.  I guess this is more of a thriller / suspense film, but I think all you Horror fans will find plenty to like in this film, I sure did! 

One of the scariest things to me, and most parents I assume, is the thought of something happening to their children.  That is a very scary aspect of this film, and while Marianne does return, she is never quite the same.  She doesn't remember anything when she first returns, but then she slowly starts to remember things, small details of what happened to her, in a series of flashbacks.  She finally remembers almost the entire ordeal and while normally that would be a good thing, that is just a beginning of the terror Marianne will face.  It's bad enough to be abducted by strangers, but realizing later that a member of your family might be directly involved in your abduction is a horror that I can not begin to imagine.

From a technical aspect, everything about this movie is great.  The acting is superb. There is not a weak actor among the bunch here, and Marianne, played by Marianne Porter gives one of the finest performances I have ever seen.  Her portrayal of someone who has gone through this horrible tragedy in totally believable.  The overall look of the film is great, it is shot very well with some great camera work.  The sound on this movie is very good, as well..which can definitely add to a movies likability.

Overall, this movie is among the tops of the independent films I have watched recently.  It is a very well made film and is a very smart film.  This film makes you think, and while it doesn't answer every question, it keeps you guessing and will have you thinking about the film long after you have watched it. 

While the film is not being distributed on DVD yet, it is possible to catch it at some Film Festival screenings around the world!  So far, the film has won 12 awards at the 19 film festivals it has played at!  Here are a few more screenings coming up...if you live anywhere close to these, please do yourself a favor and go check this movie out!

Upcoming screenings of TRUE NATURE:

Cleveland International Film Festival
screening Fri. April 1 & Sat. April 2, 2011
www.clevelandfilm.org


CPH:PIX in Copenhagen, Denmark
April 14-May 1, 2011
www.cphpix.dk


BARE BONES INTERNATIONAL FILM & MUSIC FESTIVAL
Muskogee, OK / April 25th - May 1st, 2011 (exact time TBA)
www.barebonesfilmfestivals.org/


Weekend of Fear in Erlangen, Germany
May 6-7, 2011
www.weekend-of-fear.com


CHARLESTON INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Charleston, SC / May 18th - 22nd, 2011
(exact time TBA)
www.charlestoniff.com/


If you don't live close to any of these screenings, don't worry.   I have no doubt this film will get picked up for distribution very soon.  I have seen movies that aren't half as good as this one get DVD deals, so I'm sure this one will.  Keep watching the website, as they will add listings for any more screenings.


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer for TRUE NATURE

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I saw true nature recently and i have a question:
    SPOILER
    Was Marianne dead in the past? or she is only a survivor.

    ReplyDelete