Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

DVD Review: THE WIFE KILLER (1976)


http://www.cavd.com/product.php?productid=2563THE WIFE KILLER
Written by 
Directed by (as Dacosta Carayan)
Distributed by Mondo Macabro / CAV Distributing

  I am a big fan of foreign horror films, but one country's films I am not very familiar with is Greece.   In fact, the only Greek horror film I could name you was ISLAND OF DEATH.  Well, now I can add a 2nd film to my Greek knowledge.   The film is called THE WIFE KILLER, or DEATH KISS as it was originally known.  I honestly don't think I would classify this as a true horror film.  It is more of a Giallo type crime film in my opinion.  Here is the basic plot of the film from the CAV website: 

Penniless playboy Captain Jim is in hock to his rich older wife, Helen. She has even bought him the fancy yacht that now bears his name. But Jim does not want to be Helen’s toy boy any more. He wants to marry his lover, Laura. He pays a psychopathic killer of women to murder Helen so that he will inherit his wife’s millions. But the psycho killer has his own plans. Suspecting Jim will double cross him, he engineers a complex scheme that will give him the upper hand. Very much in the style of the violent and baroque “Giallo” thrillers from 1970s Italy, The Wife Killer is a twisted, shocking and brutal exploration of the devious male psyche. Previously only released to cinemas in a cut version, this is the first official DVD release of the film in the U.S., complete and uncensored.

 As I mentioned, this is not what I would really refer to as a true "horror" film, although there is a lot of killing and blood.  The film is a crime drama, and a very good one at that.  I must admit, when I first started watching this film, I was afraid it was going to be a very boring, dull film, as it starts off very slow.  Stick with it, though, and you will be rewarded with a very entertaining film, full of plot twists and some great double crossing by the likes of the killer.

 While this won't be for everyone, if you are a fan of crime dramas and particularly 70's Italian Giallo films, you will definitely want to give this film a watch.

THE WIFE KILLER will be available on DVD August 18th, and will contain the following special features:

- Brand new transfer from film negative
- Uncut Version
- Greek/English audio choices
- Newly created optional subtitles
- Extensive production notes
- Interview with producer
- Documentary on Greek Cult Cinema
- Trailers
- Mondo Macabro previews


CLICK HERE to pre-order the DVD


http://www.cavd.com/product.php?productid=2563

http://www.mondomacabrodvd.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment