Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Guest Movie Review: DAYBREAKERS

Welcome to another Guest Review on Hayes Hudson's House of Horror! Tonight's reviewer is a returning guest reviewer, Caleb Schoeppe from the metal group Vessels of Wrath and the owner of Element Photography. Caleb recently watched the movie DAYBREAKERS and was kind enough to share his thoughts about the movie with us:

First off, please take a moment read the plot provided by IMDB.com:

"In the year 2019, a plague has transformed most every human into vampires. Faced with a dwindling blood supply, the fractured dominant race plots their survival; meanwhile, a researcher works with a covert band of vamps on a way to save humankind."
Sounds great right? You would be wrong kids! I have to say this is the all time great comedy of the year which is not good considering it is supposed to be a horror/drama piece. I don’t want to give away too much in this review for those of you that may still watch this "fine film." In a nut shell this could have been a wonderful and amazing film given its concept but the acting and direction of this pic managed to kill that vision.

Vampire Edward Dalton (Ethan Hawke) works for a corporation on the search of a blood substitute to save mankind as they know it. He is met with resistance by Charles Bromley (Sam Neil) who has a deep love for real blood. During Edwards (Hawke) research he comes across this group of humans whom are also in the pursuit of the same goal as he. That is where we meet Lionel"Elvis" Cormac (Willem Dafoe) a former vamp. That’s right, a former vamp. How is that possible you ask? Well forget EVERYTHING that Anne Rice taught us. Apparently sun light cures these undead creatures of Satan. Yup, you heard right, SUNLIGHT!! Need I say more? And don't get me started on the poor level of acting! I mean it was bad....real bad. I actually want all of you to watch this movie so we can share in its suck factor. On a positive note DAYBREAKERS did deliver rather well in the gore department. Some great over the top blood action, vampire explosions, and some great arm removal. Oh, and I almost forgot about that final death scene. Great scene consisting of huge mass of men eating each other in slow motion. Sounds cool I know!
So, on a final note I would have to say it was a 4 star out of 10. The only thing that gave it that was the gore and the fact that deep inside I think they made this thing horrid on purpose. Maybe they were trying to make a "cult classic." If so they failed. Enjoy!!


Wow...thanks Caleb. I guess he didn't like it, huh?! I have read reviews on other blogs and people really seemed to like it. I have not seen it yet, so I can not say one way or the other. Have you seen DAYBREAKERS? Is Caleb correct in his assessment or does he need a wooden stake to the heart?!!!

Editors note: The reviews and opinions expressed by our guest reviewers are not associated with or necessarily shared with those of Hayes Hudson's House of Horror. If you would like to be a guest reviewer on the 4H blog, feel free to contact me at hch91@hotmail.com. Guest reviewers are not compensated for their reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment