Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

DVD Review: IN SEARCH OF LOVECRAFT

Recently I watched the film, IN SEARCH OF LOVECRAFT. The film was written and directed by David J. Hohl. Before I tell you my thoughts on it, let me share with you the plot from amazon.com:

While shooting a Halloween news story on horror writer H.P. Lovecraft, reporter Rebecca Marsh (Renee Sweet) discovers that the fiction Lovecraft wrote is actually true; the creatures and cults described in his writings really exist. She enlists the help of her cameraman, an occult expert, and Keja (Playboy Model Rachael Robbins), a sexy witch who is expert on the Lovecraft mythos. Only together may they survive the vicious attacks of the cult's creatures.

First off, let me say this was a good movie. Definitely worth checking out. What starts out as just a "filler" story about H.P. Lovecraft for Rebecca, becomes a much more involved story and gets here involved in the Lovecraft Mythos more than she ever thought she would be. The movie has some great scenes, good scares, and some great makeup effects. The "Dark Man" that Rebecca would see from time to time was very creepy and very well done. I couldn't do a fair review, though, without pointing out places of improvement which would be the acting. Some of it is downright bad. Some of it is good, and then some of it is so bad its good! I have a new favorite character actor now in Larry Laverty! His over the top performance as the paranoid Prof. Sutton had me rolling. He was very enjoyable. For a low budget independent feature, it is pretty impressive. It looks like a much bigger production than it probably was. As director Hohl's first feature, it is a great achievement and I look forward to seeing more work of his in the future!

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer for IN SEARCH OF LOVECRAFT
CLICK HERE to visit the official website for IN SEARCH OF LOVECRAFT
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD of IN SEARCH OF LOVECRAFT from Amazon.com

3 comments:

  1. Ill give it a watch, I love anything LOVECRAFT. I hope it doesnt dissapoint. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be checking this out now. Saw the trailer on my cable's On Demand service and wasn't too thrilled. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet, i'm always on the lookout for some good Lovecraft movies. I love me some H.P. I'll have to take your word on it and put it in my flix cue and check it out.

    ReplyDelete