Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Spotlight: Horror comic artist ANTHONY RUGGIERO

Today's spotlight is on horror comic artist/illustrator, Anthony Ruggiero.
I had my first introduction to Mr. Ruggiero's work when I did a review of some comics from Virus Comix, one of which was called BLOKE'S TOMB OF HORROR  (see that original review HERE).  One of my favorite things about that comic was the artwork on one particular story which was done by Anthony Ruggiero. I have like horror comics as long as I can remember and my favorite part, of course, is the artwork.  Ever since the days of the old EC comics like THE VAULT OF HORROR and TALES FROM THE CRYPT (bought by me as a kid when they re-printed the comics and sold them in stores back in the 80's) I have loved horror comic art. 


I wasn't sure what it was about Mr. Ruggiero's work that really stuck with me, but there was definitely something about it.....it was different than the rest of the artists and illustrators I was used to.  It was raw and gory and nothing was held back.  The more I looked at it the more I realized just how detailed it all was.  It looked like simple comic drawings at first glance, until you look further and see all the amazing details in his work.   Take a look at the cover to Mr. Ruggiero's ONE NATION UNDEAD for a perfect example of the detail that goes into his artwork....I mean, just look at those rotting guts!! You can almost smell the stench of decaying flesh just by looking at that pic!!

The ONE NATION UNDEAD cover and many other of  Mr. Ruggiero's cover art can be found in one comic book called, NOBLE ROT:  THE EXTREME ART OF ANTHONY RUGGIERO from Mad Cow Comics.   I suggest buying this as a great example and way of getting a sample of all of his work.  Then you can look for some of the other comics he has worked on including HILLARD DIARIES from Slaughterhouse Comics and an extremely cool comic adaptation of the 1983 film, THE DEADLY SPAWN.

If you are a fan of horror comics, do yourself a favor and check out the work of Anthony Ruggiero!



CLICK HERE to visit Comixpress.com to purchase NOBLE ROT #1
CLICK HERE to visit the Facebook page of Slaughterhouse Comics
CLICK HERE to visit the Facebook page of Mad Cow Comics

No comments:

Post a Comment