Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

DVD Review: STRIP MAHJONG: BATTLE ROYALE (20012)

 

STRIP MAHJONG:  BATTLE ROYALE
Directed by:  Mark P. Forever
Distributed by Danger After Dark / TLA Releasing

When I got the press release for a movie called STRIP MAHJONG:  BATTLE ROYALE, I just knew I had to check this one out.  I know nothing about the game of Mahjong, and it actually looks pretty boring...but Strip Mahjong?  Now that I will watch! Ha!

Here is the basic plot of the film from the official press release:

A handful of mysterious Japanese women take part in a deranged web show that makes them strip off their clothes when they lose a round of Mahjong. When there is nothing left to hide, the losers secrets are revealed and the nubile contestants must take their punishment. Can anyone survive, or keep their clothes on, in the dangerous game of "STRIP MAHJONG: BATTLE ROYALE?" Gleefully adding a risqué, wry twist to an ancient game of strategy, this erotic thriller delivers voyeuristic thrills with the friskiness of Seventies sexploitation flicks, providing titillating, strange and kinky gameplay at every turn!

 Ok, so I have to be completely honest.  As much as I wanted to love this movie, I found it to be just ok.  The movie was fun, but it was very slow in some parts and come to find out, even hot, naked, Japanese chicks get boring after a while...especially while they are just sitting around playing Mahjong!  There are some fun scenes, but the movie overall just lacked something.  The plot was very basic, with no real twists or surprises.  I think I was also expecting a little more in terms of horror.  The filmmakers could have amped up the violence and gore and could have really made this a fun film.  Like maybe after the girls loose all their clothes, if they loose again then they loose a finger, or a hand, or a whole arm.  Cue the over-the-top Japanese trademark arterial geysers!  See, now that would have been cool!!  Instead, we get a very toned down version that could be a PG-13 film if it weren't for the rampant nudity all throughout.   Although, if that is what you are looking for, then this is the film for you!

  Overall I enjoyed the film, but as I stated, I really think it could have been better.  It was made well and shot well, and I really liked the way it was shot like a game show.   STRIP MAHJONG: BATTLE ROYALE might not be for everyone, but fans of crazy Japanese cinema will want to check this out for sure.

CLICK HERE for a sneak peak of the film
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment