Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, April 5, 2015

DVD/Blu-ray Review: RABID GRANNIES


https://www.tromashop.com/rabid-grannies-2-disc-combo-blu-ray-and-dvdRABID GRANNIES
Written & Directed by
Distributed by  Troma Entertainment

  Here is a film a lot of you might not know about.   It's a rare gem from 1988 called RABID GRANNIES.   I had heard about this one a while back, but it flew completely under my radar back in '88 when it came out.   I think I first heard about this film just about 3 or 4 years ago!    Here is the plot of the film from the Troma website:

Grannies are the greatest. They bake pies, tell stories and take you to the zoo. They don't ask for an arm and a leg in return. THEY WANT YOUR WHOLE BODY! It's off to grandmother's house we go for Rabid Grannies, the blood-splattered tale of two little old ladies who open a surprise package from Hell. Out slithers a mysterious fog that turns the grannies into ghouls who can't wait to sink their dentures into human flesh. Luckily for them, they have a houseful of juicy guests. Unluckily for their guests, these bone-crunching battle-axes just can't get filled up. RABID GRANNIES, these biddies bite!

  If you are a fan of '80s horror films, this is not one to be missed.  I think the 80's are by far my favorite decade of horror films, followed closely by the '70s.    This film has a very '80s feel to it and reminded me at times of the great gore movie, BRAINDEAD / DEAD ALIVE.   One reason I love horror movies from the '80s is the practical effects.  These always look so much better than today's CGI special effects.  This film has tons of great makeup and practical gore effects.  In fact, with this newly released 'Producer's Cut' of the film, we get to see some of the gore that was cut from earlier releases!

  Now, I do have to warn you about the Blu-ray transfer of this film.  All the day time shots are washed out in a yellow color, like a sepia tone, while all the night shots are washed in a blue color.  I assumed that is just how the film was since it was so old, but thankfully Troma packaged this with a DVD as well, and the DVD color is just fine, without the yellow and blue tinting.   I'm not sure what happened with the transfer, but it is a shame it is like this.  As I stated, the DVD is perfectly fine, though, so I watched the DVD.

  RABID GRANNIES is an extremely fun film, and I highly recommend it!   RABID GRANNIES is available now on the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack from Troma Entertainment and contains the following special features:

*  HD transfer of the movie from original materials
*  Producer's Cut of the film
*  Deleted Scenes
*  Interviews
*  Trailers
*  and much more!


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack


http://www.troma.com/
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment