Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

DVD Review: ROT: REUNION OF TERROR (2008)

Fans of the Shock-O-Rama label will not be dissappointed with their newest release: ROT: REUNION OF TERROR. The film was written and directed by Michael Hoffman Jr., based on a story by Bill Cassinelli. Here is the plot synopsis from imdb.com:

10 years after high school, an invitation to a reunion at a secluded hunting cabin draws six friends into a viscous game of life-and-death. Unbeknownst to the partiers, the mutilated bodies of two young campers lie hidden in the nearby woods. As the night progresses and one-by-one friends disappear, tensions escalate...is there a demented serial killer on the loose, or could one of them be behind this Reunion of Terror?Suspenseful, moody and shocking, ROT: Reunion of Terror is a serial killer film that will leave you guessing until its dramatic conclusion!

This movie is not without it's flaws, but is otherwise a very fun and entertaining slasher film. Let me get the few, minor negatives out of the way. First off, the acting is good overall, but is brought down by just a few certain actors. A small amount of humor is thrown in periodically throughout the film, with mixed results. Most of the time, the jokes fall flat. Lastly, there is one black actor in the film and he gets the stereotypical lines like "DAAAMN"! He actually reminded me of the "token Black guy" character from NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE, in which they parodied this character stereotype that shows up in this type of film on a regular basis.

Ok, all that aside, let me say that that does not distract from the overall enjoyment of this film. The opening scene is great when a lesbian couple are camping in the woods and end up being killed in a very gruesome way. That opening scene really sets the tone for the rest of the film. The kills in the movie are great, with lots of blood and gore. I would also like to point out the character of the game warden in the film, played by John Shumski. I really liked his character and would love to see more of his future work. I am not sure if his acting was that good, or if it was so bad it was good, but either way his performance was very enjoyable, and that is what counts! Another great thing I liked about this film was the way the killer picked out his victims. He obviously knew which of the people from his high school he wanted to get rid of, so he methodically went through his yearbook and cut each ones photo out and pinned their pictures up on a corkboard. As the fellow classmates would be killed off, he would mark an X through their picture. A few other great things about this film I want to point out, is the music, which at times is very creepy and the great camera work. It was very stylistic and shot very well.
Overall this is a great film that I would recommend to all my Horror fans!

The ROT: REUNION OF TERROR dvd is Unrated and contains the following special features:

*Commentary w/ director and crew
*The making of ROT documentary
*The music of ROT documentary
*ROT Post Production documentary
*Deleted scenes
*3 music videos
*Shock-O-Rama trailer vault

CLICK HERE to visit the official Shock-O-Rama/Alternative Cinema website
CLICK HERE to watch the trailer for ROT
CLICK HERE to purchase the ROT dvd from Shock-O-Rama
CLICK HERE to visit the Shock-O-Rama MySpace page
CLICK HERE to visit the Shock-O-Rama YouTube channel

2 comments:

  1. If you're interested, I did a review with Michael Hoffman for Rogue Cinema, a webzine for indie film. He was pretty super. You can read it here: http://www.roguecinema.com/article2084.html

    I still haven't gotten around to ROT but it's on Instant Watch and I just got an invite to my own high school reunion. The time is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...don't watch this before you go to your reunion!

    ReplyDelete