Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Friday, April 16, 2010

DVD Review: SURVIVE! (2009)

Digital Grindhouse Entertainment presents, SURVIVE! A criminally unknown shocker from writer and director Jeff Chitty. The film was made by an obvious lover of the dirty, grindhouse films of the 1970's. I am also a fan of that genre, so this film was one of the most enjoyable films I have watched in a while. Before I tell you any more, here is the basic plot from the DGE website:

Jen and Bill are on the way home from their honeymoon road trip when their car begins acting up. In the middle of nowhere with no other options, they stop at a backwoods car repair shop unaware of what sadistic brothers Clayton and Jimmy have in mind for them. This 70’s grindhouse style feature pushes the envelope of on screen violence and sadism and guarantees to shock even the most hardened viewer. NOT FOR CHILDREN OR THE EASILY OFFENDED!

Now I know what you are thinking....every independent movie maker says something along the lines of that their film "guarantees to shock the most hardened viewer". Very few of those movies ever actually live up to that "guarantee". This is NOT one of those films. This is one guarantee you can take to heart. I have seen my fair share of Horror films, and I thought I had been desensitized to most scenes of violence in Horror films, knowing they are fake and just camera tricks, but this movie actually made me squirm and wonder if the pain the female victim was relaying in some scenes was actually all acting or not. The filmmakers also compare the film to I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, and THEY CALL HER ONE EYE. I have seen movies compare themselves to these classics in the past, but this is the first of the newer movies that makes that comparison that rightfully deserves to do so. While not on the same level as those movies overall, the feel and subject of the movies are very similar. The film is made to look old...with scratches, blips, and even missing frames. There is also a faint projector sound running the entire film, which was nice little gimmick and serves the purpose of making you feel like you were watching this in a seedy theater down on 42nd street in New York. The film really embraces the look and feel of the old grindhouse and exploitation films with the music and title fonts.
This film is definitely worth picking up and adding to your collection. Fans of Horror that think they have "seen it all" will be shocked and surprised by this disturbing film.

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer for SURVIVE!
CLICK HERE to purchase a download or dvd of SURVIVE!
CLICK HERE to visit Digital Grindhouse Entertainment on Facebook
CLICK HERE to visit Digital Grindhouse Entertainment on MySpace
CLICK HERE to visit Digital Grindhouse Entertainment's Twitter page
CLICK HERE to visit Digital Grindhouse Entertainment's Linkedin page

No comments:

Post a Comment