Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Monday, May 31, 2010

DVD Review: TORCHED (2004)

TORCHED was the first film from director Ryan Nicholson. Nicholson is the same sick-o (and I say that with the utmost respect!) that brought us the films LIVE FEED, GUTTERBALLS, and HANGER. No matter what you thought of his latter films, this early film of Mr. Nicholson's is one you will surely want to check out.
Here is the plot synopsis from Plotdigger Films:

Deanna has it all: brains, beauty, and a promising nursing career. But a chance encounter that leads to a scarring rape turns Deanna’s perfect life into a perfect nightmare. Now, as Deanna loses her grip on sanity, she has only one goal: to find the sick bastards who harmed her and show them what sick really means. With an array of powerful weapons at her disposal — including a blazing blowtorch — Deanna's revenge will be a dish served hotter than hell!

Being Mr. Nicholson's first film, I expected it to look like it. I expected cheap production value, bad acting and just an just an ok film experience overall. This film delivered none of that..in fact, it delivered just the opposite. Most filmmakers evolve and learn as they go and their films improve over time. Mr. Nicholson obviously knew what he was doing right out of the starting gate. You could tell me this was his newest production and I would have no problem believing that.

The film itself is a good 'ol rape revenge flick. Reminiscent of grindhouse revenge films such as LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT and I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, TORCHED takes the revenge film to a whole new level. The torture Deanna inflicts upon her rapists is extreme and sadistic. The name of the film comes from the fact that one of Deanna's main torture methods is to periodically use a blowtorch on her assailant. She torches the mans legs and genitals. Hey, speaking of genitals, as we do when talking about most of Nicholson's films, there is an extremely graphic scene that is guaranteed to make even the most seasoned Horror fan squirm, especially us guys. I actually had to turn away from the screen at one point. I wont give it away, but I will say it involves hypodermic needles and male genitalia. Need I say more?

As I have said about past films of Nicholson's I have reviewed, whether you like these extreme films or not, you can't deny that he is bringing something new to the genre and makes films that really affect you, long after you have watched them. For that, I appreciate Mr. Nicholson and the films he makes, and look forward to all his future films.

CLICK HERE to purchase a copy of TORCHED on DVD
CLICK HERE to visit the official website of Plotdigger Films

2 comments:

  1. Oh the good old rape revenge film! This sounds very interesting. I'll try to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome film, its been a while since the last time I saw it.

    ReplyDelete