Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Friday, August 20, 2010

DVD Review: WOMEN'S STUDIES (2010)

WOMEN'S STUDIES was written and directed by Lonnie Martin and is being released on the Big Bite Entertainment label at R-Squared Films. Here is the basic plot synopsis from the RSquared Films website:

At Ross-Prentiss Women's Academy female empowerment is taken to a whole new, murderous level! Grad student Mary has just finished another summer working for Senator Gayle Hamlin, but on her way back to school, Mary and her friends become stranded. A group of students led by Judith offer them shelter at their isolated campus. On the surface, the academy appears to be a feminist utopia, but Ross-Prentiss has a darker side: indoctrinating women into their apocalyptic sect and sending them into the world to strip men of power.... and their lives!

Overall this was a pretty good film. While it did keep me entertained, there were some definite problems with this film, but there were also some high points as well.

First off, with the negative. The worst part about this movie to me was the acting. While the film was obviously a low budget film, I feel the acting should have still been a bit better. While the part of Mary was played pretty well by Cindy Marie Martin, the actor portraying her boyfriend was hard to watch. The story line was a little hard to follow at times, at least for this reviewer, and with what seemed to be a few different plot points all going on at the same time, it made for some times of confusion.

That being said, there were some very good things about this film. Mainly, the gore effects. While there were not as many gore scenes as I like in a movie, there were still more that I expected for this type of film...and some of them were done very well. The film was shot very nicely, so the picture is nice and clear.

I don't think this will be a hit with most of the casual Horror fans, a certain section of the Horror crowd will probably really dig this film. This could be the first Horror movie made specifically for women, as the film is a 90 exercise in feminism. Although it did make me wonder...is this film a pro-feminism film like I think it is? Or is it just the opposite, as it shows you how crazy these women can really be.

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD

CLICK HERE to visit the official website of RSquared Films

1 comment:

  1. Everything about this film screams ANTI FEMINIST! I'm thinking it seems feminist because of the artificial right wing construction of the "feminazi" who wants to castrate all men.

    Of course I'm going to watch it though - know your enemy and all that jazz. Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete