Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Movie review: INSIDIOUS (2011)

Sorry for not posting yesterday, but I had a good reason I couldn't.  I was at the theater watching James Wan's latest film, INSIDIOUS!  If you are a fan of horror (which you are since you are on this website!), then you need to see this film asap. Before I go any further, here is the plot description from the films official website:

The writer-director team behind 'Saw' and the filmmakers of 'Paranormal Activity' redefine the haunted house genre in 'Insidious.' This horror film is the terrifying story of a family who shortly after moving discover that dark spirits have possessed their home and that their son has inexplicably fallen into a coma. Trying to escape the haunting and save their son, they move again only to discover that it was not their house that was haunted.


I didn't know what to expect going into this film.  I had seen one trailer on TV, but that was it.  I didn't read any reviews and wasn't sure what anyone thought of this film.  No one I had talked to had seen it.  I went in expecting a fun, mediocre horror film at best.  What I got was a punch to the gut with pure terror. This was one of the scariest films I have seen in a loooong time.  In fact, there were at least 3 places where I physically jumped with fright!  That is something I usually make fun of my wife for doing!  I am pretty desensitized to horror films, and can usually always spot an approaching "jump scare".  This film caught me off guard and made me jump like a girl.  Well done Mr. Wan!

I am going to cut this review short.  We are experiencing major thunderstorms here and I am about to unplug the computer.  Take my word on this one...you will not be disappointed.  INSIDIOUS reminded me of a cross between a Dario Argento film and Sam Rami's DRAG ME TO HELL.   This film also helped me to swear off my claim that "you can not have a good horror film and make it PG-13".  I used to always think that in order to be a real horror film, it had to be rated R, and I would steer clear of any PG-13 offerings.  After 2009's DRAG ME TO HELL and now INSIDIOUS, I am sold that you can have a great, terrifying film and have it be rated PG-13. 

Director James Wan is the future of Horror in my opinion.  Go witness the great spectacle that is INSIDIOUS soon!  It is playing in theaters now.


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to visit the film's official website

1 comment:

  1. Ive watched it and dammm it is scary, "I am pretty desensitized to horror films"
    Same i wouldnt jump if i was grabbed or was about to be hit by a car i have literally jumped once or twice in my life and this film got me last night im shocked lol.

    ReplyDelete