Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Blu-ray review: DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (2010)

 
  
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK
Directed by:  Troy Nixey
Distributed by:  Sony Home Entertainment

 DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is one of those films that I wanted to see in the theater, but never got the chance to.   I recently was able to check it out on the newly released Blu-ray from Sony Home Entertainment, and overall, I thought this was a wonderful film.  Here is the basic plot from the Sony Home Entertainment website:
 
 Sally, a young girl, moves to Rhode Island to live with her father and his new girlfriend in the 19th-century mansion they are restoring. While exploring the house, Sally starts to hear voices coming from creatures in the basement whose hidden agenda is to claim her as one of their own.

 I knew with a screenplay by Guillermo del Toro, that this was probably going to be a good film.   But not only was the story good, it was just so well made.  The cinematography is amazing, as are the sets and outdoor scenery.  The movie just looks good, from every aspect.   
 
 Another great thing I noticed about this film while watching it, was the great music and sound effects.  The film is full of creepy, moody, music and some wonderful sound effects.  The main ones being the whispering voices that young Sally hears coming from the house.    These voices were very creepy, especially when watching the film in 5.1 surround sound.
 
 Now, don't get me wrong...I really liked this film, but if I have to mention that I was slightly disappointed when I found out the things haunting the house were little creature things.  I really don't know what to call them and they were really never explained.  They look like a cross between a small troll and a chinchilla.   I guess I was just more surprised by this than anything....maybe if I knew going in that this was a "creature feature" type film, I would have been ok with it, but I was expecting a more typical haunted house style film where the house was haunted by more human spirits.  But, if you know about the creatures going in, then maybe you won't be disappointed.  Again, don't think this means I didn't enjoy this film.  I did, and I recommend it to anyone, it just took me off guard, that is all. 
 
The Blu-ray is packed with special features including a Conceptual Art Gallery, and a 3 part Making-Of Documentary which includes "The Story", "Blackwood's Mansion", and "The Creatures".
 
Also, just for fun, check out the official website of the film for a fun interactive search and find game!


CLICK HERE to visit the official website and watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray


1 comment:

  1. It does look great, as you mention, but that doesn't save it. I love love love the original so hard, I knew this even couldn't hold a candle. I wish they had just retitled it and left it at that. Maybe I wouldn't have loathed this so much.

    ReplyDelete