Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Blu-ray Review: YOU'RE NEXT


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853739/YOU'RE NEXT
Directed by: 
Distributed by Lionsgate

  I remember seeing the trailers for YOU'RE NEXT when this film came out in the theaters, but I never got a chance to see this one.  I heard good things about this film when it came out, but I'm really surprised I didn't hear more.  This is one of the most enjoyable horror films I have seen in years!  Here is the basic plot from the Lionsgate website:

  Aubrey and Paul Davison decide to celebrate their wedding anniversary by inviting their four children and their significant others to a family reunion at their remote and slightly rundown weekend estate. But the family reunion goes awry when their home comes under siege by a mask-wearing team of crossbow-bearing assailants. The family has no idea who’s attacking them, why they’re under attack, or if the attackers are inside or outside the cavernous, creaking house. All they know for certain is that nobody is safe.

   As I mentioned, this is one of the better horror movies I have seen in years.  This film is chock full of good scares, great gore, and even some dark humor.  The film is very well done, with great acting by most all actors involved.  The style of the movie is very cool, with a great use of music to intensify some scenes, and then eerily contrast with some others.  The 1977 song, "Looking For The Magic" by the Dwight Twilley Band is a very light, upbeat song, but is used in scenes that are very disturbing.  The horror onscreen contrasting with the bubbly pop song really makes an impression.  I liken this to the way the old Stealers Wheel song, "Stuck In The Middle With You", was used in the torture scene in the film RESERVOIR DOGS.   This is probably the best use of music in a movie I can remember in some time.

  Home invasion flicks are some of the scariest to me, as these are things that could, and do, happen all over the world, every day.   It's a very scary thought and this movie does a great job of roping you in and making you feel as uneasy as the poor victims in this film.   The movie reminded me a lot of THE STRANGERS, except I thought this was far better.  If you enjoyed that movie, I think you will most definitely enjoy YOU'RE NEXT!

  YOU'RE NEXT was just released on home video this past Tuesday, the 14th.  It is available on DVD or a DVD/Blu-ray/UltraViolet combo pack, and included the following special features:

*  "No Ordinary Home Invasion:  The Making Of YOU'RE NEXT" Featurette
*  Audio Commentary With Director Adam Wingard And Writer Simon Barrett
*  Audio Commentary With Director Adam Wingard,Writer Simon Barrett, and Actors Sharni Vinson And Barbara Crampton
*  Theatrical Trailers


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray/DVD/UV combo pack


No comments:

Post a Comment