Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

DVD Review: TROLLHUNTER (2010)

 
TROLLHUNTER
Written & Directed by:  André Øvredal
Distributed by:  Magnet Releasing/Magnolia Home Entertainment

 I have been dying to see this film. Ever since I first saw the trailer, I have been super excited for this one.  I have really built this one up and I was hoping I hadn't hyped it up too much and was leaving myself open for a let down.   Well, I am happy to say that after finally getting to see TROLLHUNTER, I was not let down in the least.  In fact, I would go as far as to say I was pleasantly surprised and that the film was actually better than I could have imagined. Before I go any further,
here is the basic plot synopsis from the film's official website:

The government says there’s nothing to worry about – it’s just a problem with bears making trouble in the mountains and forests of Norway. But local hunters don’t believe it – and neither do a trio of college students who want to find out the truth. Armed with a video camera, they trail a mysterious “poacher,” who wants nothing to do with them. However, their persistence lands them straight in the path of the objects of his pursuits: trolls. They soon find themselves documenting every move of this grizzled, unlikely hero – the trollhunter – risking their lives to uncover the secrets of creatures only thought to exist in fairy tales.

 This is another entry into the ever so popular "found footage" genre of film.  But...unlike most of these "found footage" films, this one does not deal with ghosts or witches....this one deals with trolls.  That's right, trolls.   You can't say this isn't an original film!  I like the mixture of the "found footage" and creature feature films....not something I have seen much of, but hope to see more of.

 TROLLHUNTER is basically like a bigfoot movie on crack.  The hunter is searching for the creature that he knows exists, but no one else believes is real.  Except instead of a more human sized Bigfoot, these trolls are humongous.  Like hundreds of feet tall enormous!   Now this leads to some puzzling questions for me, such as if there is a creature this big that towers above the trees, how is his presence not known?    Also, apparently trolls just come out at night.....so where does a monster this huge hide out all day?  Plot holes for sure, but don't get me wrong.  This will not effect the enjoyment of this film, it sure didn't for me anyways.

 The acting in the film is excellent.  The man they got to play the Troll Hunter was especially good and very believable as a sort of back woods, loner type.  The cinematography is amazing and the scenes of the Norwegian countryside are truly beautiful.   Now, about the trolls....obviously the use of CG effects are a necessity here, no way to get around that.  Luckily they CG effects are done flawlessly and blend in perfect to the surroundings.    It was also fun to learn about trolls, as I really don't know anything about them.  But did you know sunlight, or more specifically, UV rays, can make a troll either explode, or turn to stone, depending on the age of the troll (don't worry, this is explained in the film and actually makes sense upon hearing the explanation).  Both types of troll deaths are witnessed here, and I found the troll turning to stone scene especially cool! 

I can honestly say this is one of the best horror films I have seen in a long time, and it has found a spot on my list of favorite horror films.  I will be watching this one again soon!

The DVD and Blu-ray is out now and contains the following special features:

* Deleted Scenes
* Improv and Bloopers
* Extended Scenes
* Visual Effects
* Behind the Scenes
* Photo Galleries
* HDNet:  A Look at Trollhunter



CLICK HERE to visit the film's official website and watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD or Blu-ray

 

4 comments:

  1. Easily one of my favorites of the year! CGI was incredible for a film that roughly estimates out to costing $3 million.

    Great review! This flick needs to be seen by all creature feature fans, as well as by people that really don't get into the whole found footage genre. I think it could change their mind.

    ***spoilers***




    Loved all the hints to the lore of trolls as well. Must admit, I knew or remembered little about the mythical tales, but thought it was a brilliant addition to bringing the story to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said RobocopsSadSide! I'm glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did. I hope all horror fans check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Excellent review. Totally dug it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for this for what seems like forever, and Hayes, you've made me want to see it even more. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete