Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, August 23, 2009

INGLORIOUS BASTERDS--Tarantinto's Masterpiece

While not true horror, with the violence and blood that this film contains, I don't know where else it would be classified, so I am gonna talk about it here! Plus, it does resemble some old exploitation films from the past, and has a major horror link in that it co-stars Eli Roth (director of CABIN FEVER and the HOSTEL films). Eli actually had a bigger part than I thought he would. (if you read that sentence out of context, it would sound dirty). He played a character nicknamed "The Bear Jew" and was known for clubbing Nazis with his trusty 'ol Louisville Slugger baseball bat. I had been waiting on this film for years, and director Quinten Tarantino did not disappoint. While I have loved ALL his films (ok...I didn't love JACKIE BROWN, but the rest of his films are superb), this has to be considered his 'masterpiece'. I can't say to much to ruin it for those that haven't seen it, but I can say that this is by far my favorite of his films (that distinction belonging to KILL BILL pt 1 before). Brad Pitt's character of Lt. Aldo Raine was excellent, I really like the characters Brad Pitt chooses to play, you can tell he doesn't take himself so seriously that he can't do just cool, kick-ass parts like this. While slow in a just a few parts, even these slow parts are enjoyable thanks to Quentin Tarantino's wonderful dialog. The action scenes are great, and the final climax had some of the most awesome imagery I have seen in a film in a long time. Also, I can't do a review of a Tarantino movie without mentioning the music. Tarantino always picks the perfect songs to go with his films, borrowing heavy from old exploitation films, kung-fu films, and spaghetti westerns from the past. This movie is no different. I always enjoy the soundtracks to Tarantino's films.

This film is a must see, and I rate it 5 out of 5 Nazi scalps!!!

2 comments:

  1. I completely, 100% agree. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of this movie. I'm a Tarantino fan anyway, but I haven't been this engaged in a movie of his since Pulp Fiction, and just for reference, I loved Kill Bill. And Eli Roth was awesome. I don't understand all of the hate for him. I smiled, I cringed, I laughed...I had one hell of a time. 5 out of 5 for me as well. Glad you liked it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Ryan! Glad you liked it as well! I thought Eli Roth was great too, and I don't understand the hate that some horror "fans" give him either. I like his movies...at least they are original and hard horror unlike most of the PG-13 crap they put out and call horror films!

    ReplyDelete