Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Friday, May 18, 2012

DVD Review: SATAN HATES YOU (2010)

  
SATAN HATES YOU
Written & Directed by: James Felix McKenney
Distributed by TLA Releasing

 So according to the film title, apparently Satan hates me.  Well, that's good, 'cause I hate him too!  He makes us do bad things.  He especially makes the character of Marc do bad things in this film, including beating a girls head in with a commode tank lid!!  Whoa, I guess I should slow down here and tell you a little bit about what this film is about.  Here is a brief description of the film from the movie's official website:
 
  Inspired by films from the golden age of religious cinema such as A THIEF IN THE NIGHT (1972), IF FOOTMEN TIRE YOU, WHAT WILL HORSES DO? (1971) and STALKED (1969), SATAN HATES YOU is a graphic horror film that tells the stories of two individuals and their personal struggles with Lucifer himself.
We follow Marc (Don Wood) a homicidal maniac driven by demons buried deep within his soul, and Wendy (Christine Spencer) Marc's polar opposite who lives life fast and hard without a second's thought to the consequences. Their separate paths will eventually cross, but will it be on the road to salvation or the highway to hell?
 
  SATAN HATES YOU is a very strange film to put it mildly.  One thing I was glad about is that is was not as offensive as I thought it might have been from a  religious aspect.  There was one scene that was  a tad bit sacrilegious, but it was a very short scene in a dream sequence and didn't last long at all.  Other than that, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

  The movie is pretty graphic in it's violence.  In addition to the poor treatment of the woman described in the opening paragraph of this review, the character of Marc also doesn't take lightly that a  man mistakes him for being gay, and shows his displeasure by ramming a 2x4 down the mouth of a guy, nearly ripping his face in half!
 
  The acting in this film is remarkably good for a low budget indie feature like this.  I didn't recognize the Marc, played by Don Wood, or the actress that played Wendy, Christine Spencer, but these two give wonderful performances in my opinion and were perfectly cast for these roles.  It was also fun to see some genre vets in the film, like Angus Scrimm, Reggie Bannister, Debbie Rochon, and Michael Berryman, even if their parts in the film were pretty small.

 While this film will not be for everybody, I enjoyed it and would recommend it.  The DVD is available now from TLA Video and contains the following Special Features:

*  Behind-the-Scenes of Satan Hates You
*  Theatrical Trailer
Creepy Christmas short film
*  13 TV segments from the film featuring Angus Scrimm, Pauley Perrette, and auther Max Brooks


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this flick. As a kid growing up in an ultra-religious southern baptist home, I was subjected to more of those Christian scare flicks , Chick Tracts, etc than I could count. This film is a pitch perfect send up of those, and is chock full of inside jokes for the horror fan who grew up on that bizarre style of "endoctri-tainment."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting....I guess it shows what a good movie it is that even those that didn't grow up wathing those kind of films still enjoy it! Glad you liked it! I thought the ending was especially good.

    ReplyDelete