Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

DVD Review: THE TURNPIKE KILLER (2012)

 
THE TURNPIKE KILLER
Written & Directed by Evan Makrogiannis & Brian Weaver
Production Company:  New York Horror Film Productions
 
  A couple of months ago, I let you all know about a new film coming out called THE TURNPIKE KILLER, which was being released in an awesome 80's Retro VHS Big Box that includes an uncut version of the film on VHS and the DVD with uncensored cover art.   The box also contains a poster of the film signed by one of the film's stars, Ruby LaRocca!  Click Here to see my original post about this.

  Well, I got my copy in the mailbox the other day, and I was in love with this film the minute it came out of the shipping box.    I know a lot of films are starting to come out with the VHS tape, as a throwback to the best age of horror films, but this is the first one I have ever actually owned.  Seeing that big VHS box was like taking a time machine back to elementary school, and checking out the big VHS boxes on the shelves at my local video store, looking at all the awesome horror films that I was too young to rent! 

  Having the VHS tape of this film is a very cool collectible.  But if you don't have a VCR anymore, don't worry, as a DVD comes packaged in with the VHS tape.  Ok...enough about the glorious packaging, lets get to the actual movie, THE TURNPIKE KILLER.  For those unfamiliar with the film, here is the post courtesy of the film's official website:

  Over a span of ten years the butchered remains of New York City women have been found dumped along the New Jersey Turnpike. The sadistic fiend behind these horrid murders has been coined "The Turnpike Killer". His search for the "chosen one" has left a seemingly endless trail of bloodshed and brutality. NYPD Homicide Detective Lloyd is on the job but still,"The Turnpike Killer" evades capture. Keep off the streets at night, stay out of the tunnels and avoid the bridges. You cannot escape him when all roads lead to death.

  I have to admit, I really wasn't expecting too much out of this film.  I had never heard of it, and the trailer didn't show much of the actual film, which is usually not that good of a thing.  I am happy to say though, that this film far exceeded my expectations.  This is a good film....a real good film actually.   Bad acting usually can kill a movie like this, but the acting in this film was superb, especially for a low budget, independent film like this.   Actor Bill McLaughlin was terrifying as the title character, and portrayed the killer perfectly.

  The actresses in this film are especially good, though, as their screams seem horrifyingly real.  In fact some scenes made me feel very uneasy, as I had to wonder if I was not watching a fictitious horror film anymore, and now watching actual footage of people being tortured and killed.  Some of the scenes just feel that real.  Very well done by the filmmakers and the actors/actresses!  In fact, watching the documentary on the making of the film eased my mind when I saw all the actresses were alive and well!  Ha!

  The movie is pretty brutal, with a lot of blood and some very graphic scenes.  In fact, THE TURNPIKE killer contains one of the most realistic and brutal "throat-slashing"scenes I think has ever been put on film.   This takes place during a home invasion scene where "The Turnpike Killer" has broken in a young couples home.  This is one scene that you will not forget long after watching the film.

  THE TURNPIKE KILLER is the perfect low-budget independent film.  Shot in a grainy style that looks as though you are watching a film from the 80's and packed in the coolest DVD/VHS packaging I have seen in a while, this is one you don't want to miss.

THE TURNPIKE KILLER will be released June 22nd of this year, but to pre-order THE TURNPIKE KILLER for the slashed down price of $24.99 (reduced from street price of $29.99), click the link below.


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to visit turnpikekiller.com and pre-order your copy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment